John Neil Gilmer

February 7, 1941 - November 19, 2010


Translate

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Big Cars




I bought a 1983 Lincoln the other day. Not sure why except it is in such great shape. Everything about it reminds me of Neil and his 1985 Grand Marquis. I will never forget when he finally got rid of that car and brought home a little "toy" Mercury Sable company car. It was like they took away his 10 gauge and gave him a squirt gun. Not happy with the "mid-grade" car selection now afforded, every bump in the road the Sable couldn't take as the Grand Marquis had was a personal insult to him. I wonder if anyone at Eaton pointed out this obvious slight? He likely would not have missed it had the tables been turned, I am sure.

Dean

1 comment:

  1. As far as I know, Neil's Eaton associates missed the opportunity to play with him when he got "downsized". Thinking back on it, you are right, it would have been a perfect chance to give a little of what Neil gave for so many years. And he would have been proud of us for doing it!

    Enjoy the Lincoln. A year ago, my 90-year old cousin bought an old Lincoln as well. He and I traveled to N. Carolina to look at it and I drove it back to Michigan. It's a 1960 Lincoln Continental Mark V convertible. Look it up on the Internet; it's the longest car ever made in production. A true Land Yacht that Neil would have been envious of!

    Chuck M

    ReplyDelete