John Neil Gilmer

February 7, 1941 - November 19, 2010


Translate

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Gratitude

Dear Kay - my heart goes out to you at this time, because I know how challenging the recovery process can be for the family and the patient. My sister, Mother and I went through this many years ago with my Father. I just wanted you to know that I think of you both often and your many kindnesses to me and my children. Neil and you made it possible for my daughter Julie to attend the symphony (box seats, of course), go to Put-In Bay on the boat, and eat at great restaurants at a time when I could not provide these advantages. It was a great kindness on your part, and I have always been very grateful. Your recent email on Neilism's made me laugh, and reminded me of the wonderful times that Neil's wry sense of humor and impeccable comedic timing kept us all in stitches. Nobody can tell a story like Neil!! I am sure you will have many more good ones to share with us as the days go by... Neil's wit is unmatched, as is his strategic thinking, and I thank him every day for all that he taught me. Everything I know about business strategy I learned from Neil, and the lessons learned were infinitely more valuable than a Harvard MBA! Neil's strategies are not only brilliant, but they actually work! We have won many a contract using the things that he taught me, and that I am now trying to pound into the heads of the next generation.

I thought of a short story that has been helpful for me in my darkest moments over the past few years. And it involves money and strategy, so maybe Neil will like it, too. The Devil was having a garage sale. He was selling off some of the tools he had plenty of such as "greed", "murderous intentions", "selfishness", "dishonesty", "lies", "suffering", "envy", "depression", "hatred", etc. A potential buyer came by and checked out the prices. The buyer noticed that the most expensive item was "discouragement". He asked the Devil why "discouragement" had the highest price tag, and he Devil responded that "discouragement" was the tool he could use to get anybody to do any of the other serious offenses - stealing, murder, lies, etc. The buyer asked if the Devil was ever thwarted in his attempts to use "discouragement" to ruin a person's life, and the Devil replied that the only power against "discouragement" was "gratitude", because a person that was grateful was not susceptible to the worst forms of "discouragement" he could inflict.

At times like this "discouragement" is your enemy, and "gratitude" seems as far from your thought as the next galaxy, but even the smallest amount of "gratitude" can overcome "discouragement" and get you back on the path toward recovery. I am grateful for your kindness and friendship over the years.

With my prayers for your speedy recovery (and my respect for the dedication of your loving family to your well-being),
Sandy S

No comments:

Post a Comment