John Neil Gilmer

February 7, 1941 - November 19, 2010


Translate

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Home Run Hitters

I remember clearly, still, not being able to wait to come home and tell Dad how dumb this boy was!  He hit a home run over the fence but forgot to touch home plate and was called out by the umpire.  Always looking to put together a good team for next year (he coached all my little league teams)-- he asked me the boys name.  I told him his name to ensure he wouldn't choose him for our team.  But much to my surprise, all those years ago, not missing even a second, he informed me "I can teach him to touch home plate! What's his name again."

I told this story to Dad again a few years ago, he had forgotten- he just laughed and said, "I'm glad you now know the value of a home run hitter."

Touch 'em all,

Dean

2 comments:

  1. Here's an old Little League baseball story that I remember Neil telling me. He was coaching Dean's team (of course) and the game was tight. The opposing team's best hitter came to the plate and Neil could tell that his pitcher was nervous about pitching to him. So, Neil called time out and walked to the mound. He patted his pitcher on the back and said "throw strikes, but don't give him anything to hit!". I'm sure the pitcher was duly inspired and still chuckles when he thinks of that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember one big game where he told one of our pitchers, who was a little wild anyway, to be very wild in warm-ups. I can still hear the ring of the fence behind the catcher as the ball hit it and the catcher walking back to pick up each ball that came no where near him. Few opposing batters dug-in much that game.

    ReplyDelete