John Neil Gilmer

February 7, 1941 - November 19, 2010


Translate

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Planning your next vacation in upstate New York?

Sorry to anyone that might enjoy vacationing here. But, I am guessing it is fairly well down on Dad's list of vacation hot spots. Though in the early 1980's he managed to use most of his frequent flyer miles and more to take me there TWICE! To visit the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York. Having had a huge passion for baseball, when he asked me where I wanted to go on a trip, this was the first thing that came to mind. And so we went. Without a question or suggestion we go elsewhere from him- twice- within just a few years. At the time I thought he shared the same enthusiasm for the sport and the legends that I did. Though he is casual fan- he was an enthusiast on our trips to Cooperstown. Bet we saw about every exhibit there. We spent considerable time in front of the baseball card exhibit there. Only many years later, and after having kids, does it become crystal clear that his enthusiasm was for me on those summer days in upstate New York and not so much baseball. Thanks Dad.

Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment