John Neil Gilmer

February 7, 1941 - November 19, 2010


Translate

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Father's Day Poem

My Dad’s Impact
June 21st, 2009

When I was just a child,
It was my dad’s footsteps I recall.
This meant he was home from work,
And soon we could play nerf ball!

When I was a young girl,
It was dad’s baseball skills I did learn,
Who’s on 1st, where to throw the ball,
These were lessons I had to discern.

When I was yet a teenager,
It was many lessons on how to drive a stick,
He was quite patient and I knew if I wanted,
A car I’d better learn quick.

When I was a young woman of 20 or so,
It was his knowledge & support I did need,
How to handle job situations and to
Amelia Island we did speed!

When I was a woman of 30 or so,
It was our memories of past years we shared,
With similar senses of humor at silly things we’d done,
It’s this we both laughed at, what a pair!

When I was a woman of 40 or so,
It is his laugh I treasure the most!
His practical pranks and wisdom too,
Without dad’s support and love I don’t know
What I would do?!?

So on this Father’s Day I just want you to know…
I’ve learned a great deal Dad, all from you!




Lessons such as;
A Father Rules the Roost to Father Knows Best!
To skills on the ball field, this causes you to plan ahead…
From driving a car to career moves along life’s journey too.
Enjoying each day - finding humor in it all…
Laughing at others to supporting and loving them too!
Wisdom and knowledge is what you’ve given me
From haunted houses to hayrides, anything for a laugh!
From dutch rubs to saying good night to the elephant rug
Cartoon time to “pooch time” it’s all good to me!
…and from the Trans Am to the Chevette all lessons learned indeed!
I know I will always be told by you; “Don’t speed!”

Happy Father’s Day Dad,
You’re such a joy to me!

Love,
Ellen

PS - And all those lessons on the stars,
I’m afraid I’ve forgotten some along the way..
So next time we’ll have to get out the telescope,
So you can show me the Milky Way!

No comments:

Post a Comment