John Neil Gilmer

February 7, 1941 - November 19, 2010


Translate

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Some much needed hospital humor

This is one of Dad's favorite stories. (He tells it better than I.) When I was a kid I was rough housing with a friend in the basement in Battle Creek. Well, long story short, I pulled a muscle behind my knee. Though at the time I figured I had broken my leg or worse. So Dad gets a call at the office from my friend about the bad news- he drops what he is doing at work and hurries home and calls the ambulance as soon as he gets there (or maybe before he left the office.) The emergency crew from the ambulance took me up the stairs (with some difficulty) on a stretcher and out of the house by ambulance to the hospital. We got right in in front of all the waiting people in the ER who had no doubt been there quite a while, with much less melodrama than I upon their entering. About 15 minutes later I come strolling out with Dad to the same ER waiting room that I had been rushed through just a few minutes previously on a stretcher in tremendous pain. The Dr. rubbed the muscle pull out and I was 100% fine, like nothing ever happened- good as new. Dad said the look on these other patient's face was just priceless as I walked out of the hospital with not so much as a limp. They must have thought either this is the greatest hospital in the world or these two guys (father and son) are complete idiots. I'm guessing the price of the ambulance, hospital and Dr. bills was worth the look on these people's faces to Dad.

Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment