John Neil Gilmer

February 7, 1941 - November 19, 2010


Translate

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Random Respect

Two things that stick out in my mind when Dad was working- aside from hearing the garage door open at 6 or 6:30 every morning (described in a previous post) was the way he would answer the phone at work and showing up to coach little league baseball games in a suit and tie.

When I would call Dad at work, he would always answer the phone - not hello- but instead "GILMER". I thought this was pretty neat - makes one get to the point, fast. (This was before caller ID and voicemail.)

But my all time favorite was when he would come to coach a little game in a suit and tie (ala Connie Mack.) Guess I didn't realize it at the time, but he had no time to change. I think a person, even a 10 year old little leaguer, has to respect someone in a suit. (Wonder if we had a better record when the Manager would wear formals instead of the issued T-shirt?)

Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment