John Neil Gilmer

February 7, 1941 - November 19, 2010


Translate

Monday, November 15, 2010

I am very sad to hear about the continuing decline of your Dad. He is a dear friend and I loved him very much ( don't tell him that - he would think that I had gotten soft in my recently retired state). Worked with him for almost 30 of my 33 years with Eaton. Some of those years were very challenging, but a lot of them were a lot of fun. Neil and I always thought that we could beat the world when it came to making and selling engine valves - him with the selling and me with the making. Of course we needed the technical support of Larry J - kept us from making too many foolish mistakes.

Neil was always there for me when suffered some personal setbacks - would do anything for a friend. Am sad that I can not do anything for him now except pray. Pray I do, every day for Neil - it is all in God's hands now.

You will have to ask him about the time we went shooting at the range. I had never shot anything larger than a 30-06, so Neil decided to break (literally) me in with a 375H&H and a 416!! I did hit the target, as we found out after all the dust settled, and I still have the empty brass. Believe that I still have the bruised shoulder also!!

His motto the "customer print changes are a good thing" has always stuck with me. We were able to make money from some of the most stingy customers when no one else could. Will always remember the stories that Neil and Larry could tell and the fine dinners that we had at the "Prime and Wine" in Mason City. Not sure who could drink more - Larry or Neil, do know it certainly was not me.

Am going to miss him a lot - wonder if he remembers when my 4 year old took the small American flag after we visited during a trip to Disney? We got back to our hotel, and there it was with Stephanie waving it around!!

Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment