John Neil Gilmer

February 7, 1941 - November 19, 2010


Translate

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Impatient Patience

Dear Ellen,
I can't begin to tell you how sad I am of the news on you dad. Although our lives took us to different locations and much time passed between visits Neil was my best of friends. We shared many an evening in either the green 55 Chevy or the 55 Buick. There was usually a pizza to split somewhere in there too. I will truly cherish those visits for the rest of my life. I know I don't have to tell you that you are blessed to have a father like Neil. Probably a little grumpy at times, but always patient when progress was forthcoming. A great man. I will miss that Gilmer chuckle.
Esther & I are coming to Florida to visit the Orlando sister over Thanksgiving. I pray that I will be able to see your dad one more time, but I know his schedule is being managed by a much higher authority. It is important that we remember all of the good times we have shared with your dad.
Larry


(Editor's Note: It is sometimes hard to reconcile Dad's patience with his impatience. To know him well is to experience both sides, both caring in different ways, though one harder to appreciate. This insight by Larry sums up the seeming contradiction in a single sentence. Dad appreciated the brevity. Dean)

_____________
Hi Neil,
It's cold here today. Just put the lawn mower away and brought the snow blower up to the garage. The Tundra period has arrived.It has been a dry fall, but all the local farmers are smiling with $6 corn and $13 beans. Most of the crops were dried in the field this year since we have had no rain since labor day. I fear that meteor logically we will even out in rainfall over the next few months. Unfortunately it will most likely come as snow for us.
Esther & I are coming to Florida to visit her sister over Thanksgiving. I plan on coming down to see you.
Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment