John Neil Gilmer

February 7, 1941 - November 19, 2010


Translate

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Golf Tips from the Master addendum. Ragged (I mean gently used) Golf Clubs

I would make one addition to Dean's very comprehensive list. Neil prided himself on minimizing his investment in golf clubs. He used all his legendary negotiation skills/tricks to get the best deal from poor distressed proprietors or rummage/garage sales. He then immensely enjoyed telling of his exploits to the dismay of others (who probably paid more for less) like his neighbor friend golfer Tony G ! After I took my FL set of clubs back UPNORTH, I had the honor of playing with a set of clubs he put together from such dealing and I enjoyed every shot and Neil comment along the way !!

Steve Z

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that story. I was here in FLA not more than 2 years ago and Dad tried to give me a pair of golf shoes to take to a friend. Or, at least, that was his plan, I was never sure who the "grateful" recipient would be. He had apparently bought these shoes for a Japanese client of Eaton that he was entertaining on the golf course- the shoes looked like a ladies 7 or smaller. These shoes had to be 20 years old but had made the move from MI to FLA. Well needless to say these shoes were in poor shape. The rubber on the soles had deteriorated worse than an old, broken, rubber band. As they crumbled coming out of the box, I think Dad was sincerely disappointed. This and your story may also be filed in the Neil frugality file. I believe we have a story or two that will need to be unearthed on that topic.

    Dean

    ReplyDelete