John Neil Gilmer

February 7, 1941 - November 19, 2010


Translate

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Cousins Came To Town & Larry too!

Ok, this past week my dad had some visitors that I think really made him feel good and laugh some too! Larry (a lifelong friend), Dan and Chris (dad's cousins) all made a special trip to come visit my dad! He was very weak and tired out from the chemo and from just not eating.... but Mom and I thought that "Laughter was be good medicine" indeed! Those guys were so gentle and kind and sat or laid with dad to share story after story of their childhood days and shinanigans! Mom and I would try to stay clear so they could have what we call "Guy Talk!" You could hear these big voices sharing and remembering days gone by and then all of a sudden some laughs and words like; "Now Neil we all remember it this way, is that how you remember it?"
Photobucket
I'm not sure any of us will ever know all the things these guys did as kids, let alone their teenage years! I heard stories like remember the time we were actually throwing rocks at each other, Danny said to dad. They both agreed it must not have been there time to go then, because they were throwing actual rocks at each other, and good size ones at that. Wow, if their mothers only knew! LOL
Photobucket

These guys had some laughs and I also know that my dear dad was asking these three guys for some advice on his condition and their take on what to do! He wanted to know what each of them would do in his shoes... and I think they each shared their love and support letting him know whatever he decides is best for him, they support him all the way! It was a good few days that these guys took out of their lives to come and visit and to be there for their buddy, their cousin, their friend! I think these guys would do and be there for each other no matter what... as Dan said, "Come high water and the creek don't rise."
Photobucket
I couldn't get over how long it had been since seeing Larry especially... most likely it was when David (his son) and I were freshmen in college in 1984.... wow, where does the time go! Chris and Dan I had seen only this past year at a family get-together for Aunt Nukkie's birthday party! However, at that party I got to see Chris's son(David) who I hadn't seen since he was a young boy, now he's married with his own daughter... again, hard to believe! And also Dan's son (Nathan and his family) and the other two guys via a webcam. I remember going to picnics with these guys when I was young and we would all play baseball and had the time of our lives together. My dad's mom, Momi would be sure to explain who everyone was in the Beeson clan so I knew all my heritage... I'm so glad for family today!
Photobucket
It was a good visit and here are just a few photos to show from their time with Dad. As one of them said, "It was good to hear the Gilmer chuckle!" Now that was for sure and they brought it out of him, thanks guys for taking time and coming to support my dad, I will treasure that always! Ok, these guys are keepers!

Ellen

PS - Please pray for Dan's son (Nathan) who is very sick and in the hospital as well. Also his wife (Beth) had knee replacement and hip surgery and is still recovering. Please pray Chris finds his "soul mate" and if you know any nice women pass them on to this guy, he's looking indeed! Larry and family seem to be doing great and will come to see dad again in November.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment