John Neil Gilmer

February 7, 1941 - November 19, 2010


Translate

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Neilism: If you get up at 10 -the day's half gone. You'll never get anything done!

Today's quote of the day on the blog was:
"Eighty percent of success is showing up."
Woody Allen

Dad always took this one a little further. You had to show up early too, for him. Dad was always up way too early to go to work (or so I thought at the time.) We'd hear the garage door at 6 or 6:30 am EVERY morning. Never phased, I could get another 4 hours sleep, after this event. Well I think I did this one too many times as I got a lecture I still remember and like to repeat to others every chance I get. Can't wait another few years to lay this one on my kids too! This was said before the Army or Marines said they get more done by 7 am than most people get done all day. He'd say: "If you get up at 10 - the day is half gone.-- You'll never get anything done!" I think I may have slept in more than one time too many as it still rings in my ears 20 years later.

I have never been sure how the math worked with the day being half gone at 10 am, but I must confess a lot can get done before 10, and with few interruptions. As many people still seem to waste those 2 or 3 hours which compose 1/2 of the day in a Neilism.

Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment